Mayo Fine Gael Senator, John O'Mahony, said that over €3 million in funding has been made available in Mayo for housing adaptations form older people and people with a disability living in private houses.

Senator O'Mahony said: "I am delighted that this funding has been made available. It is great to see funding going to those who need it. This investment will allow extensions to be built for people with a disability. It will also allow for adaptations to be made to homes to help people get around the house more easily, with improvements like access ramps and stair lifts.

" Mobility is something that so many of us take for granted. It is important that everyone in our community is afforded dignity and respect, which is why funding to allow older people and people with disabilities the opportunity to continue independent living is so important.

"These grants are 80% funded by the Department of Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government. The remaining 20% of the funding, some €606,546, will come from Mayo County Council.

" Grants of up to €30,000 are available for an adaptation, up to €8,000 for housing aid for older people and up to €6,000 for mobility aids.

"Over €59.8 million has been made available nationally and in addition to helping improve mobility the funding should have a knock on effect, providing a boost to the construction sector nationally, with the benefits being spread to local economies across the country."

Contact: 

Conor Cresham

0863988180